Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Echos of Summer in Winter Snow

(click on photos to enlarge)

The Stilling Basin


I'm fairly sure the ice in the Stilling Basin...means summer is no longer present. But as I drove around John Martin Reservoir State Park today in the falling snow and biting wind, the echoes of Summer spoke up in several places.

"You know Fred, ain't nothin' but catfish bitin' today. Guess I'll call it quits and see what the Missus has for supper."


The Fish Cleaning Station, Lake Hasty Campground



"Shucks, John, that poor catfish ain't worth dirtying your knife for!"

"Never you mind Fred. I gotta bring somethin' home. You want the Missus to think I was out doin' things I'm a thinkin' she might lock me out for?"

"You have a point, John. Keep slicing. And try not to get the end of your finger like you did last time!"

Playground north of Swim Beach


"Jamie, it's my turn! You had the swing last time. You promised!"

"Alright, alright. Come over and go on the slide with me when you're done. I'll walk slowly."

"Jamie, Randy; lunch is ready; hot dogs and ice cream. Hurry up 'for it melts!"




Lake Hasty Campground



"Honey, did we pack the bug spray? These mosquitoes are bad tonight."

"Jack, I watched you put it in the top of the backpack with the sunglasses."

"Mom, I'm hungry. Can we go to McDonalds?"

"No, Nancy, Dad's putting hamburgers on the grill in a bit. Have a glass of juice for now; there's some in the cooler by the tent."

Hasty Lake Swimbeach
"Mary, don't go out too far. Make sure Aaron is nearby you."

"Dad, come on in, the water's warm. I won't splash you, I promise."

"Aaron, you get on the other side of Dad when he gets here and you splash him first; then I'll do it too. He can't get mad at both of us, right?"





Turkey Buzzard Roosting Tree


As I left the swim beach and passed by this tree, I could almost hear the quiet of the Turkey Buzzards as they sleep here in the warm mornings and evenings of their Summer roost.













This sleeping Yucca huddles close to the snow during its Winter sleep, while holding up it's empty seed pods, a token memory for its large, showy, white spring blossoms. All in due time, Nature plans her Spring and Summer shows while her cast awaits her beckon call.





The Dam Road


(CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE)

The warm, echoes of Summer quickly died as I passed a snowplow on the dam road. As if to reinforce the reality of Winter, flocks of geese hovered over the plow, dancing their Winter flight over a partially frozen reservoir.





The winds of Winter have snuggled into the southeast Colorado high plains, evident this frigid morning at John Martin Reservoir State Park, Hasty Colorado.
NATURE PREVAILS





NOTE: ALL PHOTOS ON THIS BLOG, UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED, ARE TAKEN BY DANIELLE SIMONE AND ARE AVAILABLE FOR USE ONLY WITH PERMISSION. Thank you.

daniellesimone@centurytel.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let us know what you think; we value our reader's opinions. Thank you for stopping by trailsofnature.